IELTS Writing Tasks
Writing is third module of IELTS. It has 2 sections for a total of 60 minutes. In both types of test students get Task 1 and Task 2. Task 2 questions is same an essay but subject is changed. IELTS Writing Task 1 is worth only about 33% of your total writing marks, on the other hand 67% is held by Task 2.
Both Tasks are marked on :
1. Task achievement (25 %)
2. Coherence Cohesion [25%]
3. Vocabulary (25%)
4. Grammar [25%]
Word limit in Task 1 and 2
Task 1 requires minimum 150 words which can be completed in 4 paragraphs for example
1. Introduction – What is the topic
2. Body Paragraph A – Detailed Introduction
3. Body Paragraph A – Detailed Introduction
4. Body Paragraph B – Detailed Introduction
Further, the task 2 demands 250 words. It is a formal essay. That makes 4 or 5 paragraphs in Total.
IELTS Academic Task 1
It is asked to write a report infographic into words. Minimum word requirement is 150 and limit can be between. 170-190 Words or Sentences.
There are Multiple Infographics
1. Line Graphs – There can more than one graph, in this there is a graphical presentation of objects for each object, there a line is given that connect points and represents its change over time.
2. Bar Charts – Bar Chart is the questions that there may be one or few charts meanwhile the data is demonstrated in vertical and horizontal bars. It is mostly used to emphasize the comparison between objects.
3. Pie Chart – Each part of the pie chart usually represents statistic for a factor by dividing into many parts, which is calibrated in percentage. Question will demand to describe compare and contrast the data in word paragraph.
4. Table – There will be one or more than one table containing data about a topic. Students need to write a report by analyzing and comparing the statistic which is given in the tables.
5. Map – This type of questions trend appear with lower frequency as compared to other types. However Just because it is not very common does not mean you will not see it.
To describe the map, there are 2 main formats
One map- You are asked to illustrate a map of random place, usually in Present. Presently this format rarely shows up in the IELTS Writing Task 1 Since there is one map only so there is hardly anything to compare and contrast.
Two Maps – This type likely to be popular In detail you are asked two maps about the same place but may be in two different timelines for projects.
The Image of a process will be given in the exam, this process could be a natural process such as the lifespan of an animal, or an artificial process like manufacturing or nourishing. Test takers have to mention all the steps or phases in order without missing one.
7. Multiple Charts
This is the last type of question, sometimes students will encounter the test that tells you to write on two or more different types of chart or graph. For Instance, Pei chart and bar charts, line graphs and pie charts. Sometimes students might feel perplexed and nervous to solve the task. Students should not feel so because the charts will be related to each other.
IELTS General Training Task 1
The General Writing Task 1 Measures students ability to communicate about common practical issues. Candidates have 20 minutes to write on the given situation. There might be a person, company and institution to whom this letter can be addressed. Your response is worth about 30% of your writing score and is graded separately from the Task 2 essay.
The type of letters is divided into 3 types and the purpose of letter is also dissimilar
||purposed to higher authority of
Yours manager, Chairman, principal etc.
||To Whom you only share official
Relationship & know first name and not
That much from person can be your
neighbours, someone else’s authority.
|Dear Mr. Bill Mrs Graid
||To those whom you know very
Will, your friend, relative & family
The letter contains 4 Paragraphs those include three bulleted points given to a student in the question prompt such as
Explain the problem
Describe why it disturbs you
Suggest a Solution.
Addition to this question can be seeking information, request, complaint and apology. Same as Academic task 1 the demand of word limit also 150-180. Keep in mind you don’t run out of time because the next 40 minutes can be used to complete the essay in Task 2.
IELTS Writing Task 2
This question is included in both the general and academic IELTS. The time limit is 40 minutes to write a 250-word response to an essay question. This essay should include four paragraphs. [An introduction two body paragraphs and a conclusion]
In Writing Essay question types there are mostly 6 types
In this type one idea is given and asks if you agree or disagree with the idea related to that topic. For example, some people think that the best way to deal with the problem of increasing crime rate is only government should make strict rules and regulations. To what extract do you agree and disagree?
This essay require point of your opinion
It is a type of discussion essay in which some benefits and drawbacks of the situation is discussed. In this question we divide the answer question into 2 types according to demand of question. In both the question pattern of the essay differs for example
In Order to solve the traffic problems, governments should tax private car owners heavily and use the money to improve public transportation?
What are the advantages and disadvantages
Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Discuss both views and give your opinion
In this type of candidate need to write on both the ideas including his opinion too.
For Example –
Some people think that industrial growth his necessary to solve poverty. Others think it is causing environmental problems.
Discuss both and state your opine.
Both Negative and positive Effects
Students are given this essay type in which they are demanded to take down about both negative and positive effects of any development and change.
Now-a-days, some workplaces tend to employ equal numbers of men and women workers.
Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
In some type of this question one thing is asked as
Playing computer games is bad for children, whereas others say it has positive effects. Discuss how it has more negatives than positives.
Causes and Effects
The demand of this question is reasons and effects of any problem. Sometimes question demand effects and solutions.
1. International travel makes people prejudiced rather broad minded. What are the causes and effects ?
2. These days urban areas is facing numerous problems due to overpopulation identify two or three serious ones and suggest ways that governments and individuals can take these problems.
Reason and Solutions
This type not only ask reasons but also some measures to sort out the problem or issue.
For Example – Traffic congestion is increasing. Write about reasons and solutions to it.