call icon Whatsapp icon


IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It was developed during the 1980s and first administered to students in 1989. The creators and administrators are the British council Cambridge English Language Assessment [BC] and The International Development program of Australian University and Colleges. It is an International standard test to Judge the proficiency in the English language for non-native English speakers who want to migrate for study or work in those countries where English is a primary language of communication.

IELTS is acknowledged by universities and employers in many countries, such as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also granted by Professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies. The validity for test is for 2 years max.

Reason behind IELTS test requirement

Everyone has this question in his mind why IELTS is first requirement for moving to overseas countries An Answer is this, As English is first Dialect to communicate there. So that by taking this exam person shows his knowledge in this language in four modules such as listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. In other words, English language is important for Education career and life goals in English speaking nations as well as permanent residence purpose.


There are two types or option to appear for the IELTS Exam.
1. Paper Based
2. Computer based

Earlier students didn't have any option. They had to take paper based exam but now identical choice is computer delivered or based IELTS is in practice.

In either form of the IELTS Exam, one has the same sections, the test report content, timing and structure of the test everything is similar. The only difference is that on the computer-based exam, three sections are completed on computer rather than on paper. The last module is always face to face with a certified Examiner for both forms.

Contrast between computer based and paper based IELTS:
  1. Although , all other aspects of the IELTS test are the same such as content scoring level of difficulty and question types in every module. The only difference is in the computer based person will get a keyboard and in the paper based he needs to write with a pencil.
  2. Secondly, admission timeline
  3. For booking the test person is required his ID [valid passport]. If he does not hold the correct identification document, one will not be able to take the test.
  4. After submitting ID proof, students are charged, that is the examination fee. Each center sets its own fee. Most IELTS testing centers now charge around $260 to sit for the exam which is pay by credit [master. Visa]. A person get instant message of seat booking and acknowledgement.
  5. Candidates can choose their speaking test date for IELTS, however, test centre have the right to change the date.
  6. An email is sent to you 7 days before the test to notify inform you of your schedule and venue. Person has to carry his original ID proof along with test confirmation print out to test venue.


There are four modules in IELTS on the bases of which the IELTS test is conducted. Those are listening, writing, reading and listening.

LISTENING- listening is the first module of the IELTS exam. In this student listens a recording and writes answers those are given on the question sheet. The IELTS listening test is divided into four parts. Students hear each section one time only. Total time for the test is 40 minutes. The audio or recording is about 30 minutes, afterwards extra ten minutes are given to transfer answers to an answer sheet. There are 40 questions altogether as each section has 10 questions.]

READING- It is the second part of the test. To complete all the sections students will be allowed 1 hour or 60 minutes. In general reading there are 3 main passages but part 2. Is divided into 2 parts So, in total there are 5 passages while in Academic there are only 3 passages. The Texts are authentic and are taken from books, journals, Magazines and newspapers in both general and Academic Section. In both Reading 40 Questions are given to answers.

WRITING- Writing is third module of IELTS. It has 2 sections for a total of 60 minutes. In both types of test students get Task 1 and Task 2. Task 2 questions is same an essay but subject is changed. IELTS Writing Task 1 is worth only about 33% of your total writing marks, on the other hand 67% is held by Task 2.

SPEAKING- This is the fourth module for students speaking module might be conducted 7 days after and before of Reading, Listening and Writing. The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts. The Format is the same for both test takers.
Ask Query & doubt !
Was this page helpful ?